Thursday, November 4, 2010

Service Learning

Service Learning.
For service learning I am placed at Boulevard Elementary School on Lee Rd. I have attended service 3 times now and have been having an awesome experience.
My job is to take four students out of their classroom individually and read over their fluency packet, which is a sheet with a very short story on it. I have to time them for one minute and see how far they get. If they skip, or stumble over the word I take note one which word it was and read the word out loud to them.
After their fluency packet is completed we move onto a book of their choice that coincides with their reading level.
Just in the past 3 weeks I can see a large improvement in the students reading skills. Not only do I see an improvement in their skills, but also feel that they are becoming more comfortable with me. They are excited to tell me about their week and weekend and love to just sit there and talk.
I am very glad that I have taken part in service learning this semester. I feel like I am helping to improve these students futures. I hope that I can continue working with these students even after this service is over, perhaps next semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment